
Yesterday was Mr P's 26th birthday.
I just want to let him know how much I appreciate everything that he does for me and for others around him. I am so blessed to have a husband who cares so much about others and who truly is concerned for their happiness.
I met Mr Parkes at his mission home coming in 2001. I knew his family already, a close friend dated his younger brother. So, my friend and I skipped our stake conference to attend this homecoming that could have been delayed. The day before Mr P was to come home, after already extending his mission time, 9-11 took place. Missionaries were not being flown anywhere for 2 weeks. Luckily for his family (and in retrospect, me) he was serving in the South Dakota Rapid City mission. His parents left and on Saturday evening the returned with Mr P in tote.
The NEXT DAY was his homecoming. My friend and I were really more interested in getting to visit with his family, since we hadn't seen them in a while. After church we were invited to go to their house to eat... We left the church and happened to get to their house when only Mr P and his friend were there. So, we sat on the front porch waiting for more people to arrive... While waiting Mr P came outside, he was waiting on his friend to change so they could go pick up another friend who didn't show up at church, and started talking to us. I asked him what his plans were, he answered school and work and not getting married for at least 3-5 years. I actually said "Don't say that, you never know what will happen. My brother was home a month and got married (he did date the girl before his mission)". Mr P smirked and said, I'm not too worried. Later, after everyone had eaten, Mr P was showing pictures from his mission and telling stories. We were sitting there looking at this one album and, this is going to sound so juvenile, our hands touched. There was this weird moment where everyone else was just a blur around us and we talked about his mission and lots of other things. Through the rest of the evening I felt that there was something between us, it was so strange, he JUST got home and I JUST met him... So, when it was finally time for us to leave he shook my hand and said "bye, nice to meet you" and turned around and went inside. I FELT SO DUMB! Was I an idiot? I felt like a child with a stupid crush all of the sudden.
Through the next week I kept replaying it all over and over in my head... The next Saturday my friend, the same one that went to the homecoming with me, finally convinced me to just call him. I NEVER wanted to be the girl that called the boy.... I even called a couple of times and after the first ring, hung up. (Dumb, I know.)
Finally I was brave and what happened... HIS MOM ANSWERED. I asked to talk to Mr P in a voice I thought she wouldn't recognize... I hear her say "Mr P, there's a girl on the phone for you."
We said hi and then I said "This is (me), I don't know if you really remember me, but I was at your mission homeco....." he says "Oh, I am so glad you called, I have been trying to figure out how to get a hold of you all week!” PPPPHHHHHEEEEWWWWW!!!!! What a relief!! The next Saturday we went on our first date, to the state fair. Neither of us dated anyone else after that.
And today I have this wonderful companion, who I strive every day to be worthy of spending eternity with.
Happy Birthday, babe.
I love you.
1 comment:
what a cool story. i didn't know that. you make a lovely couple. m
Post a Comment