Well, as you can see... it's been a while. Since I got back from Chicago things have been in an up roar. I was hoping that it would all just ease into the new school year, nice and relaxed. HA!! Work is crazy, life is crazy!
I am, once again, teaching Seminary this year, for those of you who are not LDS this is an early morning class where the high school aged students at church meet to study the scriptures. This year we are studying the Doctrine and Covenants and Joseph Smith History. It's WONDERFUL! My class has doubled in size, so we now have to meet in the smaller end of our chapel cultural hall. The kids are so much fun in the mornings, I love that I get to teach them before the garbage of the world beats on them all day, I get help them start the day off with 50 minutes of uplifting, gospel studies where the spirit is so strong you can't help but be moved by it.
The beginning of each year is always interesting, as I get the kids use to my classroom style and teaching methods. Let's just say that in my class NO ONE can be shy. I will wait for answeres/comments/experiences, and if they don't come then they all get to write about it, then turn and share/testify and then share what they've learned from the person sharing/testifying to them... this is so effective, it amazes me. Another thing they have to get use to is actually being expected to be prepared for class. We don't spend time reading verse by verse, unless for a specific reason. They are expected to read and and be able to... say... scan through 15 of those verses you read at home last night in the next 45 seconds and tell me what principles are being taught, and be ready to talk about why they were given. GO! YAY! I love it! Also, at the end of my classes the students have to account to each other if they read to prepare for class... and then they challenge each other to read for the next day and actually have to say "Ya, I can do that"!
Teaching early morning seminary is the hardest, most difficult and challenging thing I have ever had to do. It is also the appointment (it's not an actual calling) that I love best. I wouldn't want to be doing anything else. And my students are amazing, I love them!
2 comments:
I don't think I've everr met a seminary teacher who didn't love doing it. It takes a lot of commitment to do it so early in the morning. I was always part of the easy-live-in-Utah, where I could actually leave school in the middle of the day to go over to the seminary building and then head back to school.
My 14-15 yr/old Sunday School kids will take on your seminary class any day ;-).
Lyle - I think Utah needs to convert to early morning, what an experience!!!
As far as your sunday school class... bring it on! hehe
Post a Comment