Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Celebration of Life



Most of my extended family, on my dad's side, gathered together for a celebration of my grandpa's life. We had a big potluck and then gathered together in my grandparent's backyard to share memories of grandpa...




All was going well, wonderful memories were being shared... then, after uncle Mike started sharing a memory, there were some loud cracking sounds... Suddenly, Aunt Janet fell over (down the sloped back yard) taking my second cousins Logan and Ali with her! Her chair broken and then as Logan went down his chair broke! We all started laughing hysterically and as in fashion with my family, no one got up to see if they were okay! We were just laughing and laughing! Then we laughed some more because no one rushed to check on them! We thought Aunt Janet might be hurt, she wasn't getting up off the ground, but alas, she too was laughing so hard, she couldn't get up!!! Oh, the wonderful weirdness of my family, I love them!



9 comments:

Sally F said...

I love that story about your Aunt Janet falling and taking people with her! Don't you just know that's how your Grandpa would want it? People having fun and laughing? So cool...

Where in OK are you from? I went on my mission to Tulsa. I served in the Tulsa stake and also in Ft. Smith and Branson,MO and Springfield,MO. My hubby also served in that mission.

carblemarble said...

Sally - Grandpa would have wanted that! My family all made comments that is was grandpa and my uncle who pushed them over!
I live in Tahlequah, Oklahoma... my in-laws are in the Ft. Smith stake.

carblemarble said...

Ali- The fall was the best! I bet you were sore! What about Janet? Logan? hehehe

carblemarble said...

I miss them too! That was the first time in a long time that I saw lots of the family. :(

Lyle said...

As sad as it was when my wife's step-grandmother passed away this summer, it was a lot of fun being together as one big family.

carblemarble said...

Lyle - I love being with my family! When I was a little girl almost all of my family (second cousins included) lived within 3 hours of each other!

Ali - You are coming to see me next summer, right?

carblemarble said...

YAY!

Cari said...

I hope you don't mind me commenting on your blog since you don't know me. I came across it through Lyle's blog. What a great idea for a family gathering! I don't know how long your grandfather has been gone, but what a great way for younger generations to get to know him also! I love it! And what a funny memory for your family! That's something that would happen to me! Thanks for sharing!

carblemarble said...

Cari - I don't mind the comment at all, I welcome them all! My grandfather has been gone now about 3 weeks, it was so great to hear stories from my aunts and uncles that I didn't know. Since we are a very tight family, lots of the stories were ones where at least some of us were there. Thanks again for the comment, keep 'em coming!