Have you noticed that there are people who can start a story, then be interrupted (for up to an hour!) and be able to pick up EXACTLY where they left off? Or who can transition from one topic to another in mere seconds, even though the two have nothing to do with one another?
I don't think it's fair, to any of us, to be forced to endure the mundane ramblings of a co-worker. Am I suppose to feel badly after I ask someone to please not talk to me very much today, I have a HUGE project to get done along with all the normal daily tasks? If I don't feel badly, should I feel bad for not feeling bad?

I am independently motivated. I like to get my work done and get it done quick. I'd rather have music playing and stay focused on the project at hand.
Am I the only one who feels this way? Maybe I'm not good at that 'love thy neighbor' stuff after all.
3 comments:
You're not the only one who feels this way, trust me! It's not just co-workers. I live about 50 feet at the most from my neighbor. That is our front doors face each other and are 50 feet at most apart. They are nice enough people, don't get me wrong, but they are not people I would necessarily choose to be friends with. It's been a struggle for me to juggle the "loving thy neighbor" and being friends part. I would do anything for them but don't ask me to come over and scrapbook or have family picnics together. And don't expect my children to be your children's best friends. It's a hard thing to juggle for sure.
In your case, don't feel the least bit bad about asking for some quiet so you can concentrate on your projects. You are respectful to your co-workers and they need to return that respect. From what I know of you, you seem like an extremely nice person so I'm sure that comes through with anything you say.
If only we could have our own office with a door for privacy...when it's open, I'm open. When it's closed, I'm closed.
If only....
~cari~ - I am so glad that I am not the only one who feels this way! I do try to be VERY nice.
lyle - Walls and a door. That would be a wonderful day.
Post a Comment