Friday, July 06, 2007

Carthage Jail/Nauvoo/Adam-Ondi-Ahman/Far West/Liberty Jail

This set of pictures depicts the spiritual side of the trip David and I went on with the youth. Later I will post images of the fun we had.


Carthage Jail - Where the Prophet Joseph Smith and his brother, Hyrum Smith, were shot and killed.


A statue at Carthage Jail of Joseph and Hyrum. Hyrum was devoted to his brother, stood with him in life and death.


On the first evening in Nauvoo we walked to the temple grounds, these first two images are of the view we had on that walk.



The Nauvoo temple was built, dedicated and then used by the early Saints. After persecution they fled the state of Illinois and the temple was destroyed. In 1999 the prophet announced that it would be re-built and by 2002 it was again standing. This temple has great meaning to Latter-Day Saints.
On this evening it happened that the lights, which usually light up the temple at night, were not working. This allowed some great shots of the temple with the sunset in the background.

In this first one you can see stars in the sky.






Flowers on temple grounds.


The sunset and view from the temple.




On the second evening we were in Nauvoo we decided to go back to the temple grounds. The lights were working that evening, so I was able to get some more great shots.
In the first one you can see the moon in the background








Adam-Ondi-Ahman. All I can say is I can't wait for what's to come in this place. I am so grateful for modern day revelation and that we can couple that with what the scriptures tell us. If you don't know much about this place, look it up in your scriptures (I also suggest the book: Church History in the Fullness of Times).



Far West. This plot of land was dedicated for a temple. Corner stones were also placed. Persecution increased and the Saints had to leave before the temple could be completed.
I can not wait until a temple stands here.





Liberty Jail. What a depressing place. At the same time, what a sacred place. Very important revelations were received here, which are now part of the Doctrine and Covenants.


A replica of what the gold plates, which the Prophet Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon from, at Liberty Jail.

I know that Joseph Smith is a prophet. I am grateful to have a testimony that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and a testimony of Jesus Christ.

If you have more questions about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints please visit lds.org


2 comments:

Cari said...

So beautiful! One of my dreams is to go to Nauvoo. I love it!

Sally F said...

What beautiful pics! Such a gorgeous sunset. How neat for youth to be able to go on trips like this. Talk about testimony building!

I haven't been to Nauvoo--definitely want to someday. We did Palmyra a few years back and it was incredible.