Today my Grandma Sweetie passed away. She was a joy.
I am happy to know that she was not in pain in the end and that I will see her again. What a blessing the Gospel of Jesus Christ is.
The cattle ranch that I grew up on was owned by grandma and grandpa. I remeber walking through the fields to go to her house for a visit. She always had time for us. She and I would go garage sale shopping together in the summers (grandpa always slipping his girls a few extra dollars). In our jeans and t-shirts we would then go out to eat and spend some girl time, just talking. I remember once I was back in Oregon visiting... she and I were driving somewhere and I put on a pair of big, pink sunglasses to which she exclaimed 'oh, let's wear our s*xy sunglasses!' and put her own BIG pair on.
Grandma Sweetie helped us learn the importance of manners, especially at the dinner table. She attended as many school functions as she possibly could. If our names appeared in the paper, for any reason, she was the first to call or bring the clipping over.
I love her very much and will miss the fun chats that we had on the phone. She always talked about how proud she is of her grand children and the things we are all trying to accomplish. In her eyes, we were the best.
The name Grandma Sweetie came because she called my sister sweetie pie... as soon as Cabesh could talk the name 'grandma sweetie' was formed, and it stuck.
Truly, a family could not have asked for a sweeter example and friend.
3 comments:
Thanks for sharing such sweet stories. I'm sorry for your loss.
Oh...that's hard to lose a grandparent, especially one as "Sweet" as yours was.
I too am sorry for your loss. She does sound like a "Sweetie"! You got it right when you said , "What a blessing the Gospel of Jesus Christ is." I know that losing a loved one is difficult but it is comforting to know that you will be able to see her again someday!
Post a Comment