Thursday, February 05, 2009

A brief glimpse into our journey...

Blessed. Humbled. Thrilled. Teary. Grateful. Amazed. Blessed.

Just a few of the words that describe how Mr P and I feel about our news of a baby.

4 1/2 years ago Mr P and I decided it was time to start our family. We moved from BYU in Provo and student health clinic doctors (who were good doctors). Once in Oklahoma we still felt it was time to begin. Nothing. We considered adoption, with several very real possibilities falling through at the last moment or just come to a complete stand still. December 2007. With 6 failed adoption attempts in a year, the emotional burden became too much. I tell Mr P that I can't do it, we decide to focus on medical issues. After SEVERAL months on Clomid, at a rather high dosage, steroids and with no chemical level changes shown on multiple blood tests we are finally referred to a specialist. November 2008. Specialist, blood tests. December 2008. We discover several medical problems and are told the likelihood of our being able to conceive with out medical help is almost zero. I am told that I need at least 4 surgeries to correct these problems. Surgeries are scheduled for January, all four at one time (with out of pocket expense of $700+, after insurance), and I am put on several drugs to prep my body for surgeries and other medical procedures to follow. Invetro-fertilization is recommended for March. We commit to find a way to pay the $9,000+ out of pocket (after insurance) expense. I am told that I will be sick for the first 2 weeks of new medications; nauseated, head aches, tired, etc. December 2008, just before Christmas. I am still nauseated almost all of the time and am very tired. Mr P and I begin moving, I find an OLD pregnancy test and decide to see if it still works. Test comes out positive. I call my sister-in-law, who works at a hospital, she recommends purchasing a new one to get results. I spend $15+ on one test. It comes back positive (funny: I took it while driving to my parents house, I stopped at a gas station because I couldn't hold my urine any longer). I am excited, but know enough not to allow too much. I actually think that the drugs I am on are causing the result and am worried that they are having very negative effects on my body because, let's face it, up until now my body had reacted VERY odd to everything else. Saturday, December 27th, I tell Mr P about the test results, he is wonderfully positive. Monday, December 29th. I call the doctor's office when they open that morning, I express my concern and the test results, they recommend I come in that day for tests. Mr P and I are driving home, Dr office calls and says that pregnancy test is positive. I cry. Mr P tears up. We are told that I have to come in first thing the next morning. It could be bad or good. Either I am much further along than newly pregnant, or the pregnancy is tubal. If it is tubal emergency surgery must be done right away to remove it. I cry. Mr P is so wonderfully positive. Can I explain the fear that went through my mind all that night? To wait 5 years and have the possibility of it not continuing. I think I slept about 2 hours total. Tuesday, December 30th. Nervously we again drive the hour to doctor's office. Discover doctor is out of town, technician will be doing an internal ultrasound. Fear. Tears. Then, we see it. Perfect. In the right place, strong heart beat. Tears. Tears. Laughter of joy. Tears. Mr P is impressed with the sound of the heart along with seeing it beat. I am already 2 months along. Phone calls made to family. Mr P's parents first grand child. They cry, we cry. One week later, doctor does exam. I am told everything looks wonderful, I am taken off drugs, surgeries are moved until 8 weeks after the baby arrives, no invetro and I can choose a local doctor for the duration of my pregnancy. Doctor says all they had to do was scare us a bit and threaten me with surgery. We do math. Conception happened after I had been off Clomid for 3 months and right around the time we started with the specialist. It's a miracle.

Blessed. Humbled. Thrilled. Teary. Grateful. Amazed. Blessed.

Now I dry my tears (which will return often, as has been occurring) and wait patiently to find out if we will be blessed with a little girl or boy. Mr P plans on making the crib. We feel the love and support of our family and friends and praise our Heavenly Father and Savior, Jesus Christ for giving us such a wonderful blessing.

We also would like to thank all of our family, friends and even strangers who we know have been praying and agonizing with us. Heavenly Father truly does hear us.

Blessed. Humbled. Thrilled. Teary. Grateful. Amazed. Blessed.

4 comments:

Charity Brown said...

Such an incredible story! Again, congrats!!!!

Cari said...

Congratulations!!!!! What a blessing! That is going to be one cute baby for sure!

Melissa said...

Wow, what tender mercies you have been given. . .so many miracles for this little one to come to your family. I hope and pray things will continue to go well for you. Thank you for the inspiring story. . .it brings tears of joy to my eyes to think about your news!

Jeppsen Family said...

It's a wonderful thing to see the Lord perform miracles in your behalf. Yippee!! I can't believe you peed on a stick on a gas station!!