After church I had my temple recommend interview with a member of the stake presidency. This made me start thinking of all the blessings I have received since David and I started going at least once a month.... So, as an encouragement to my self, I will list some of them...

1- A happier marriage. Just plain and simple.
2- Financially we have never been better off.
3- Less temptation - when we first started going (or trying to go) more often all kinds of reasons came up that we were tempted to use for not going. Now, we just say "Nope, sorry, we are going to the temple"
4- In tune - I have never had a time in my life where the promptings of the spirit were so strong that I could not mistake them. I think this is a combination TONS of forced time of studying the scriptures (that's what happens when you teach seminary), a greater desire to be guided and attending the temple.
5- Added upon - Sometimes I think there is NO way I could possibly fit everything that I am suppose to do into the time that I have to do it. However, I have realized that when it is a matter that the Lord needs taken care of, there is always time.
6 - Knowledge - I feel very strongly that I know much better what it is that the Lord wants me to do. I know that He has a plan for me and is by my side as I strive to become more like him. I know that as I make righteous choices the Holy Ghost will reside with me and help guide me back to my Heavenly Father.
7 - Love of Service - I think that attending the temple is one of the greatest services we can provide. Helping those who have gone on before us obtain covenants they need and are waiting for, what a wonderful experience!
8 - Desire - I have the desire to attend the temple as often as I possibly can. I now recognize the importance of doing this work and being faithful to it.
9 - The ability to say "Yes, I go to the temple" when it is my time to account to the Lord.
10 - All of those blessings that I don't recognize that Heavenly Father gives me.
4 comments:
What a lovely post. Thanks for sharing. It's funny the timing of reading this, because these sorts of things are also on my mind since yesterday, when I got to play escort for a lady whose kids I've been friends with for years. My mom and grandma used to be here visiting teachers back in her "less active" days, and many moons later I got to help her receive her endowment. It was a very special day for her and for me, and I came away from that experience feeling as if I'd learned a ton. Sometimes it's like the floodgates open and you get lots of new thoughts. I came home with the greatest wish to keep the peace and the quiet and the calm I felt there with me at all times, and to really try to do everything I do in the Savior's name. i could go on for pages, but I'll save it for a possible blog post, and definitely a private journal entry. Thanks again!
Geo - Thanks. What a wonderful experience for you! I get to anxieous before we got to the temple each time. Since they are a month apart, 3 hour drive away, we have lots of time to think about everything we learned the previous time.
i never really thought of a long drive to the temple as a blessing before, but I can see how it sure could be. More time to reflect b efore entering the "real life" fray again. There's always something to be thankful for in each situation, isn't there?
Definately! We use to live in Provo, about a minute drive from the temple, and didn't go once a month even! It has been such a blessing for us, to have to sacrifice, with it being so far away. Now when I come home from the temple, I strive even harder to keep that spirit with me and to really try to learn from the experience.
Another reason I am so willing to go now is that I want my seminary kids to see how important it is. We talk about going to the temple a lot in class, so it wouldn't feel right to not be going, but pushing them towards it.
Post a Comment